Monday, April 20, 2009

Searching for a job - PLEASE THINK WHEN YOU APPLY!!!

by Scott Fiore, TriStarr Staffing

I'm starting my week frustrated! My company decided to offer a free seminar for job seekers and we have advertised it in various places, social media, job boards etc.

I received some responses over the weekend - the problem is - I don't know what to do with them!!! The candidates simply sent me a resume. I don't know if they are interested in the seminar or were just sending a resume. They didn't take the time to write a message, they didn't take the time to tell me something about themselves. Unfortunately for these candidates, they may not be chosen to attend the seminar (we have limited space). And - this is no different than what may happen when they are applying for a position.

My favorite of these candidates was the one who had spam blocking turned on so that when I took the time to respond to her - I HAD TO DO EXTRA WORK AND COMPLETE A FORM SO MY EMAIL COULD GO THROUGH. Believe me folks - this would be a turn off, and really - do you want to risk a recruiter or hiring manager simply saying to themselves - "forget this candidate" and move to the next?

PLEASE THINK when you are applying for a position, whether it be via the web, email, a job board, whatever - please take the time to write short note. Make it easy for people who want to contact you. Turn the spam filter on after you've gotten a job. You never know who's email you'll miss.

0 comments:

Post a Comment